Posted: 22 January 2024
A leading FMCG exporter is currently looking for a Legal Secretary to be responsible for ensuring sound corporate governance practice, to be the repository of governance knowledge and advice, and to be the source of the company’s conscience ensuring corporate integrity takes precedence over short-term gain and personal benefit”, in addition be sure to provide seamless assistance, manage administrative tasks, and ensure efficient operations not only within the company. This position requires a proactive, organized, and adaptable individual who can work in a fast-paced environment and be adaptable to any situation that might be thrown their way.
The position will report to the finance director.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES, NOT LIMITED TO:
- Collating files and documents for the finance director.
- Provide strategic advisory services in relation to secretariat services to the Board and Executive Management.
- Advise the Board collectively and individually of their legal rights and obligations in relations to matters of their responsibilities, the law and good corporate governance.
- Prepare, collate and distribute Board and Committee charters and work plans.
- Responsible for the preparation meeting agendas, taking of minutes and distribution thereof, circulation of action list on resolutions.
- Maintain the company’s statutory registers including minute books, Board registers, registers of disclosures of conflict of interests, etc.
- Ensure that Board decisions and other communications are formally channeled to the appropriate members of staff and other stakeholders.
- Review credit applications and distribution agreements on behalf of the finance director.
- Liaison with the banks and valuators.
- Gateway approvals on behalf of the finance director.
- LLB qualification or equivalent qualification.
- Secretarial certificate will be an added advantage
- A minimum of 5 years’ relevant experience in practice with a corporate entity.
- Good corporate governance , compliance, legislative experience.
- Familiarity with system/process documentation and business processes.
- Strategic Resource Management & Leadership
- Excellent written and verbal communication
- Organizational & Stakeholder awareness profile
- Resource mobilization
- Change Leadership
- Results Orientation
- Good negotiation skills
- Strong analytical skills
- High levels of professionalism
- Good interpersonal skills
- Excellent planning, co-ordination and follow through skills
- Excellent administrative skills
- Ability to interpret and advise on the application of legislation
- High levels of discretion and confidentiality
- Ability to work under pressure.