Posted: 22 January 2024
NWK, your dynamic partner in agriculture, is seeking a Senior Manager of Trade to play a pivotal role in achieving our strategic and operational objectives within the Trade Segment. As a key member of our management team, you will shape the future of retail in the agricultural industry.
We are on a mission to innovate, lead, and optimise the contribution of our trading function to the NWK group’s success. We are looking for a professional individual to make a significant impact in a dynamic and forward-thinking organisation.
Purpose of the position:
Reporting to the Group Chief Executive Officer, the Senior Manager of Trade will be responsible for growing, integrating and positioning various trading activities across the agricultural industry value chain, within the company to maximise their contribution to the group’s results. This position is part of the management of NWK. You will also play a pivotal role in ensuring NWK meets the appointment targets of designated
candidates and employment equity within trade departments. Departments that report to this manager include Retail, Agricultural Chemicals, Fertiliser, Seed and Mechanisation. The Trade Segment consists of 52 operational sites, with 965 employees and total trade segment turnover of nearly R4 billion.
- Strategic leadership: Developing, communicating, and executing a vision for the Trade Department that aligns with the NWK group’s strategic goals. Your strong strategic thinking skills will be essential to identifying trends and assessing risks, enabling you to develop strategies that will seize opportunities within the trading environment.
- Operational excellence: Driving process improvement plans with a keen focus on innovation. Your analytical thinking and problem-solving skills will enable you to identify areas for improvement, ensuring that budget management, expenses, marketing, and purchasing practices are optimised. You must also ensure that operational discipline during all processes becomes a way of life in the segment. Cash flow management is a key driver within any business, therefore you will be required to optimise it.
- Stakeholder engagement: Effective communication skills will be crucial for fostering relationships with shareholders, affiliates, customers, suppliers, as well as other stakeholders. Your ability to engage and collaborate will promote external relations in the trade environment.
- Talent development, training, and succession planning: Devising and implementing professional development programs for your team, including identifying gaps within departments for succession planning. Your leadership qualities will ensure successful career development discussions, disciplinary actions, and effective training and development initiatives.
- Talent acquisition and equity: As part of your role, you’ll play a pivotal role in identifying and appointing designated candidates within the Retail, Fertiliser, and Mechanization divisions. Your commitment to diversity as well as strong interpersonal skills will help attract and retain diverse talent, ensuring NWK meets its employment equity targets.
- 7-10 years senior management experience in the agricultural retail, fertiliser, chemical, seed and mechanisation industry.
- A postgraduate qualification and/or a management qualification (BComm with Business Economics/Business Management).
- Masters degree in Business Administration or post graduate professional business qualification will serve as an advantage.
- Expert knowledge in retail, personnel management, the agricultural environment, and computer systems.
- Full professional bilingual proficiency in both Afrikaans and English.