Posted: 23 November 2023
You thrive to support and see the growth of impact for-profit ventures
You are business-driven, a strategic thinker with a strong entrepreneurial spirit
You are interested in solutions in the Blue Economy
Then we want you!
OceanHub Africa is looking for an Engineer In Residence to:
- Provide product development support to ocean-impact startups and founders
- Develop awareness on ocean-impact technologies
- Maintain its position as driver of Entrepreneurship and Innovation in the ocean space in Africa
Who we are:
OceanHub Africa (OHA) is on a mission to inspire and support ocean-minded start-ups with the express aim of nurturing an environmentally conscious and profitable economy that effectively mitigates the effects of global warming as well as oceans’ overexploitation and pollution.
As an Engineer in Residence, you will play a crucial role in providing technical support and guidance to entrepreneurs and startups of OHA’s portfolio through product development in the context of venture building, incubation and acceleration programmes delivered by OceanHub Africa. You will be involved in tutoring and guiding startups in the use of engineering design platforms, supporting in solving design challenges, and leading product development support to overcome bottlenecks.
- In collaboration with the Entrepreneur in Residence and startup founders, identify and address product design and industrialization challenges to scale tech-enabled ocean-impact startups
- In collaboration with startup founders and partners (3DS, Amazon Web Services, …), lead product development (prototyping to industrial design and upgrades) of innovative tech solutions – including 3D models, simulations and blueprints
- Assist the startup founders in sourcing, pricing and implementing production
- Provide advanced computer literacy support to startups founder as needed
Ocean venture building studio:
- In collaboration with the Entrepreneur in Residence, the Head of Coastal Community Development and partners (WWF, IUCN, etc), identify and address frugal product design focused on promotion of adaption and inclusivity in underserved coastal community across Africa
- In collaboration with startup founders and partners, lead product development (prototyping to industrial design and upgrades) of innovative low-tech solutions – including 3D models, simulations and blueprints
- Lead sourcing, pricing and implementing production process with partners and Entrepreneur in Residence
- Conduct market research and technical reviews to validate startup solutions
- Ad hoc support to team efforts such as in event planning and logistic
- Assisting the communication team in editing multimedia content requiring specific computer skills from time to time
- Assist the team at OHA in designing, sourcing, pricing a makers’ space (or FabLab) for innovation prototyping (and explore co-managing the facility)
- Act as the data focal point for the organization of editions of the Ocean Hackathon ®ï¸ Cape Town
- Provide advanced computer literacy support to team members as needed
- Learn and grow in an entrepreneurial ecosystem, in Africa within a stimulating environment multi stakeholder environment
- Develop your engineering expertise working on impact-driven projects
- Take part in shaping OHA and working for a meaningful cause with growing international interest
- Exposure to a range of Impact for profit businesses and founders
- Training in Blue Economy principles, entrepreneurship and impact investing
- Grow your personal branding and network within the blue economy ecosystem in South Africa and internationally
- Performance-based benefits (bonus and extra paid time off related to years of service)
- 2 days of remote work per week
- Initial contract with expectation of renewability
Skills and experience:
- Bachelor’s in Engineering (preferably mechanical or environmental engineering) or any other relevant fields
- Proven experience in product development, engineering design or related technical fields
- Proficiency in CAD/CAM softwares
- Entrepreneurial mindset, strong analytical and critical thinking
- Friendly, optimistic go-getter and self-starter
- Excellent planning and interpersonal skills, team player
- Interest in startups, innovation, impact-driven technologies and IT development
- Experience working with (or openness to learn) our team’s software stack: Slack, Google Suite, Notion, Zoom, etc.
The following conditions apply:
- Contract term: January 2024 to December 2024 – some flexibility on dates
- Full time – at least 40h/week (5 days): 8:30 am to 5:30 pm, 1h lunch break
- Prorated 15 days per year of paid leave in addition to public holidays (following the official South African calendar).
- 2 days remote work per week, and 3 days in person at office address: The V&A Waterfront, Cape Town 8002. A computer desktop is provided, but a laptop (software licenses will be provided) and a mobile phone are necessary and not provided. Internet connection (loadshedding proof) when working remotely is required, and on the staff’s own account.
- Gross monthly remuneration of R32,000-R42,000 CTC depending on expertise and experience and in line with the internal compensation grid. In addition, variable remuneration of up to 10% of gross annual salary and extra paid time off will be awarded based on overall annual performance.