Posted: 13 February 2024
The Lead Programme Specialist would be expected to influence, design, and implement relevant transport transformation and empowerment programmes, utilizing their experience, knowledge and understanding of the South African Transport context, operations and legislation (rail, minibus taxi industry and rapid bus transport industry and roll-out)
The following outcomes will be expected to be achieved by the Lead Programme Specialist (but not limited to):
- To design, develop and deliver impactful programmes related to the transport industry needs.
- To manage progress and drive the delivery of key objectives across the various stakeholders.
- Think strategically and report on MBT industry trends related to the impact of the transformation and capacity building programmes.
- To keep relevant stakeholders engaged and aligned to the strategic objectives of the industry project/s.
- Lead the programme successfully.
- To draft reports and other forms of documentation for clients, such as business plans, capacity development plans.
- To write reviews and evidence based reporting highlighting the value of the transformative work done in the industry.
- To actively strategise, report on and resolve all potential challenges and issues which may arise within the project.
- Producing high quality research and analysis on the needs of the industry.
Qualifications and Experience
- Hold 5-10 years’ experience working with the Minibus Taxi Industry and/or Bus Rapid Transport Systems, including Transport planning and/or Integrated Public Transport Network (IPTN) experience.
- A minimum of an honours degree in Transport Planning, Transportation Engineering and/or Transport Studies.
- Additional academic and experiential qualifications in management, innovation, capacity development as well as economic development will be advantageous.
- An overall in-depth and technical understanding of the South African Transport Systems (MBT, BRT, Rail etc.) will be advantageous.
- Facilitation, Conflict Resolution, and mediation experience will be advantageous.
- Coaching and mentoring skills required.
- Project Management Skills would be essential.
- Good presentation skills.
- Sense of Urgency
- Project Management skills
- Problem Solving
- Agility & Change
- Capacity Development Programme Design
Key skills and attributes
- A solid understanding of the minibus taxi industry.
- Have a good grasp on challenges facing the industry and the reasons thereof.
- An understanding of the various interventions (current and planned) by government that are aimed at formalizing the minibus taxi industry.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work in diverse teams as well as independently.
- An energetic problem-solver, who is open-minded and holds an appetite for multi-perspective views.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Demonstrable ability to clearly break down and explain a complex topic verbally and in writing.
- Strong programme and process design skills.