Posted: 10 January 2024
Position: Hardware Deployment Engineer
Dated: 8 January 2024
ABOUT THE ROLE
We are looking for a passionate and experienced Hardware Deployments Engineer, for a US based retail technology client, to work fully remote under management from GBE.
Our client specializes in proprietary RFID based customer service technology in fitting rooms and at sales kiosks. Their solutions enhance the shopper’s experience allowing retailers to provide greater service and increase sales conversion while gathering actionable insights into shopper and merchandise trends.
The chosen applicant will become a subject matter expert on the end-to-end physical and technical installation process. The measure of success for the chosen applicant will be to guide field technicians towards successful service launches across a wide range of retailers, installation partners, and countries. Must easily learn the aspects of the solution and be a detail-oriented, independent problem solver.
This position will require evening and overnight working shifts to support projects around the globe. Training and US daytime projects would require SA evening shifts (approx. 1400-2300 hours). US/EMEA overnight projects would require overnight shifts (approx. 0000-0900 hours). Must have excellent communication skills to professionally engage with internal colleagues, 3rd party technicians, and external customers from retail stores and corporate IT departments.
You will be responsible for
Deployment plan review, coordination, & execution which will include:
- Work closely with Project Managers and Support Representatives to review scopes of work, status of hardware and connectivity on site to plan, execute, test, and document conclusions of full system operation using existing software and project templates.
- Communicate with onsite technicians and retailer store/remote IT teams in a “hands on” and highly professional manner.
- Reference Project Management software to confirm schedules, contacts, and delivery tracking in advance of scheduled work.
- Strictly follow defined steps in installation guides to maintain high standards of finished work quality.
- Closely observe work progress over video calls to confirm accuracy and promptly address issues of quality or risk to on-time, on-budget completion
- Document testing results to ensure successful installation of HW and SW functionality.
- All covered under GBE Global NDA. This document is for intended audiences only, any sharing without consent is strictly
- prohibited. GBE Global –Deployment Engineer | Revision 1.0/2024/01/08.
- Maintain a flexible work schedule (primarily overnights) and perform effective handoffs of work in progress to the next peer on duty.
- Proven ability to multi-task as some projects will happen simultaneously across different time zones.
- You will also be responsible to contribute to process documentation for continuous improvements to enable international expansion at a rapid scale.
Troubleshooting: Cross-Training with Support Team
- Monitor Support ticketing system for inbound notices to diagnose and respond promptly and appropriately.
- Remedy issues remotely and escalate as needed for actions from internal and retailer resources.
- Partner with Project Managers to schedule and prepare work orders/scope of work in support of field technicians.
- Serve as communication bridge between technicians, internal and retailer teams.
- Monitor store level technician progress and provide technical assistance.
- Contribute to constantly update and improve installation guides, store plan drawings, Site Acceptance Testing (SAT), and field technician performance processes (lessons learned)
- Assist in identifying trends and root causes of common issues – escalate to management to prioritize permanent resolutions.
- If we get something right, we document it; if we get it wrong, even more! Be a problem solver!
- Experience & Background: 3-5 years minimum of experience working in high paced retail technology hardware deployments along with the following proficiencies.
- Firm knowledge of networking connections, experience with both IOS/Android device settings management, POE data cabling, RFID systems a plus
- Ability to document urgent follow through actions and shift-to-shift progress in project management software tools provided.
- Proven ability to directly communicate/coordinate efforts with internal, customer, and partner resources at executive, technical, administrative, and labour levels.
- Proven ability to review architectural drawings and installation guides to confirm measurements and placements for hardware.
- Must be comfortable collaborating with both technical and business teams.
- Must be comfortable monitoring and managing progress across multiple sites simultaneously.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, constantly changing environment.
- Travel is NOT a requirement.
Education Requirements: Relevant certifications for from recognized institutions not older than 12 months on the following
- LAN/WAN Networks
- PoE and wireless networks (RFID a plus)
- IOS and Android operating systems (Administrator)
YOU WILL LOVE WORKING WITH US IF YOU ARE…
- Extremely organized: You keep meticulous to-do lists, project notes, and plan your day carefully over assigned global time zones.
- Analytical skills: Ability to dissect a problem to find the optimal solution and take the required steps to overcome them while working within the team.
- Strong problem solver: Must quickly learn common issue resolutions and understand how and where reference internal documentation to diagnose and resolve more complex issues.
- Detail oriented writer: Must be able to clearly document all activities, points of contact, tracking numbers, issues, resolutions, escalation paths, and end results for future reference.
- A courageous initiator: You have an ownership approach. You are proactive with what needs to be done; you embrace risks and failure and motivate others around you to succeed.
- Humble & adaptable: You have a beginner’s mindset, and you always seek to learn; you are flexible and embrace pivoting.
- Resilient: You tackle difficult situations with a can-do attitude and are relentless in the pursuit of your goals.
- Thrive in ambiguity: You can make decisions, and guide others during times of uncertainty, incomplete information, and change.
Shift projection for successful candidate
- Initial training will run on a shift from 2PM to 11PM South African Local Times for first 90 days.
- Shift hours after successful introduction and completion of 90 day probationary will be from 12AM to 9AM South African Local times from there onward.
- Ability to work on a flexible schedule with primarily SA time zone overnight shifts
- Fully Remote and applicant must be based in Cape Town